Twins! Pt one

There is not one single word that describes what it is like to find out you are having twins. One of the only times in my life when I was speechless. Let me also say, there are no twins in my family or Nick’s. There was no reason to even think we would have twins…except maybe the 16 pound weight gain in the first 8 weeks…Which my mom joked about after a dr appt….

I was laying on a bed at my very first ultrasound. I was 27 and only a few months into our marriage. I had no idea what to expect but I felt like it was taking a while. I asked the ultrasound technician if everything was ok. (Expecting the worst, because that’s what I do) Without batting an eyelash, or even looking up from the screen, she said “yup! Everything is good, It just takes a little longer when there is two”

Ahhhh when there’s two what?! “Babies!” She said then carried on like I knew.

She then made me sit there and swallow hard and breath and try not to pass out until she was done. When she finally went to get Nick I had no words, I couldn’t talk! I just stared at him smiling a nervous happy scared smile…I finally managed to squeak out “there’s two” Of course he was just as confused as I was and needed it explained to him.

The hours that followed were a series of giggles, swear words, head shaking, smiles and just pure shock. We went straight to Chapters and bought all thier twin books.

For months until they came I was scared and happy on a daily basis. How in the heck was I going to take care of two babies at the. same. time. A constant feeling of anxiety and joy, nausea and glee!

And then one day, after making a freezer full of food with my mom (nesting), I was alone in the house because Mom had left to drive over an hour home….I had a pain…then another…and another…I called my mom to ask what contractions felt like which only made her panic and me too. So I called Nick home from work and he came to get me and off to the hospital! 6 weeks and 5 days before their due date!
The Dr’s told me it wasn’t contractions, but probably kidney stones and they were going to keep me until it passed. I was drugged up on morphine every 4 hours for 5 days until one day…May 3rd….I was lying in bed, dozing in and out of consciousness with nick beside me playing on his phone and it happened…

Published by

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s